Sunday 24 March 2013

Bannatyne Spa - 241 Pamper Day Weekend

Today I visited a Bannatyne Spa for the first time... Before arriving at the Spa I had high expectations, a friend of mine had visited before and said it was amazing.

The two for one package which was offered was for either;
A Back, Neck and Shoulder Massage or a Bannatyne Energizing Facial.
Plus a scalp massage and use of the facilities.

The price for the above for two people was £75.

Upon arriving at the spa/gym which is in Llanishen, Cardiff we were greeted by a receptionist and beauty therapists were there also. We were given three forms to fill out to cover the use of the facilities and the treatment itself. (Three was a little excessive as I wrote the same information on all three, but needs must with these type of things)
Me and my friend Bethan knew that we only wanted a relaxing day and therefore the gym was not a factor in our visit.
We were kindly shown around by the receptionist and handed our robes, towels and slippers.

Now... I have only ever been to one Spa previously. And that is the Vale Resort www.vale-hotel.com/spa
From visiting this Spa my expectations of a spa experience may be a little high which possibly clouded my opinion of Bannatynes. In all honestly Bannatynes come nowhere near The Vale in terms of Spa Facilities.
Here's why:-
Bannatynes Spa, had a cafe which was shared with gym members (a little off putting in my opinion especially when you are sat there in your robe!) At The Vale the spa has its own cafe area is separate so you can fully relax and everyone else is in robes!
In terms of rooms, it was basic - you had a number of treatment rooms which were lovely, well decorated and very relaxing. But other than the pool, sauna etc and one relaxation room the experience was a little lack lustre. If I may compare to The Vale again which includes many relaxation and sleep rooms the overall Spa Experience is far better.
When Bethan and I first arrived we opted to have our treatments a little later, allowing time for a swim etc before hand.
Again, as with the cafe you share the changing room facilities with gym members, something which I was not expecting.
The jacuzzi and pool were fine though, basic but just what was needed. Unfortunately Bethan and I didn't experience the sauna or the steam room - mainly because upon opening the doors we were welcomed by a room full of men who were stretched out across the entire seating area not allowing for anyone else to enter. We exited and headed to the relaxation room which was located in the main entrance area.
Now I would use the term "Relaxation Room" carefully here as it was basically a box room with a sofa, two chairs and a beanbag and what was left after that was barely enough room to swing a cat. And being directly opposite the cafe, every noise could be heard, the clashing of crockery and the steam from the coffee maker. That combined with the loud thumping music of the gym upstairs, it was all to much for the panpipes to drown out. The room was clearly not big enough at one point there was 7 people in there and you couldn't move.
Relaxing it was not!

The Treatment.
This was where the Spa redeemed itself. Having being offered the choice between a facial and a massage I opted for the facial.
The Beauty Therapist Cerys, asked whether I had any problem areas and I advised her of my combination skin and how sometimes my pores get congested. With this in mind she tapered the facial to my needs and opted to use Elemis product.
The treatment was highly relaxing and very thorough, combining a facial with a neck and shoulder massage also.
After many layers of deep cleansing and exfoliation my skin felt amazingly soft.
Cerys then returned and talked me through the products which were used and provided me with an Elemis "Your Cleansing Prescription" card which explained exactly what products were used.
I had;
Pro Collagen Cleansing Balm
Balancing Lavender Toner
Gentle Rosé Exfoliator
And I was also kindly given a few samples of the Pro Collagen Cleansing Balm to take away and try for myself.

Even a few hours later while I write this, my skin still feels amazing and very hydrated.

The scalp massage, was not for me in all honesty but that's preference so I won't dwell too much on it.

Would I visit this Spa again?
For an entire Spa experience day I would have to say no. I didn't feel as though I could relax in the facilities, nor was there enough to occupy me for an entire day.
However like I said, the actual treatment was where the spa redeemed itself and all staff were polite, courteous and professional at all times. For that reason I would return for treatments only.

Have you visited a Bannatyne Spa before, what are your thoughts?

Rhian Xx

This Club is located at;
Bannatyne's Health Club, Parc Ty Glas , Llanishen, Cardiff, CF14 5DU

http://www.bannatynespa.com/spa/cardiff

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I'm really liking your blog so I gave you a follow. I've also nominated you for the Liebster Award :)

    Love Georgia xo
    (its-georgia.blogspot.co.uk)

    ReplyDelete