Monday 27 May 2013

Holiday Bits and Bobs

As I am writing this I am sunning myself beside a pool in Portugal... I know what you're thinking - why is she blogging!? 

Well, today is our last day at the Epic Sana Algarve and in all honesty it's a bit cloudy here today so I thought I would take to opportunity to tell you about some holiday beauty products. 

So firstly, waterproof mascara. 

This is not a product I would normally purchase, I don't tend to favour waterproof mascara's and have been told a number of times they are no good for your lashes and have therefore steered away from them - my lovely friend Bethan (@bethanevans84 - twitter) whom I'm on holiday with had heard good things about the Boots Natural Collection Waterproof Mascara which retails for £1.99 so that's the one we've tried out on our holiday. 
The coverage of the mascara is good, it's nice and even and no clumps - I've only been using it lightly, giving my lashes two coats and for £1.99 it's better than some    expensive ones in this instance. 
So how is it in terms of its waterproofness? Ummm simple answer is not great! On holidays I am the first to admit that I am a bit of a water baby and therefore would put even the best waterproof mascara's under a little strain, however after the first dunk under water this mascara started to give me the classic panda eye look and multiple hand stands in the pool later the mascara was all but gone. Maybe "Water Resistant" is a better branding for this mascara as it seems to be ok when your eyes water after sun exposure. 
This product comes in two shades Black and Brown/Black. 

Next up, is a jumbo eyeliner pencil by Sephora and for those not familiar with the Sephora brand - it's generally amazing, and available in Sephora stores across Europe and basically everywhere except the UK :-( 

I purchased this product while in Verona last year and have never really worn it - it promotes itself as Waterproof and 12 hour wear. I think I paid about €10-€14 for it, but it was last October so I'm not 100% sure. 
The product is very pigmented and is great alone or as a base. 
This product held up much better - it lasted with a strong colour from 9am-6pm with strong sun exposure and even after a few dunks in the pool the product didn't run, just faded slightly. 

Lastly was a sun protector for the scalp from Wilkinson's. The scalp is often a neglected area while on holiday, despite it receiving constant sun exposure. 
I've burnt mine a number of times while driving with the roof down in my car and so this product seems a great idea. 
I was cautious at first as it's consistency inside the bottle looks oily and the last thing I wanted was something that makes my hair looks greasy.  
I was pleasantly surprised as its a dry oil type of spray and hair does not feel greasy at all - it doesn't have the pleasant smell of most sunscreens but its not unpleasant by any means and it offers an SPF of 15 along with 5 star UV protection and Vitamin E. You can pick up this little beauty for £2.50 (50ml) and it is defiantly something I would recommend. 
Available from Wilkinson's Nationwide or www.wilko.com 

Do you have any holiday essentials that you can't live without? 

Rhian Xx



No comments:

Post a Comment