Tuesday 26 February 2013

Estée Lauder Double Wear Foundation

Foundation has always been a staple part of my make up bag.... Never being one to be brave enough for tinted moisturiser I have worn foundation for as long as I can remember (Probably my first year in Comprehensive School)
As a teenager I was prone to pimples and breakouts but never suffered from acne as such. Covering my pimples however was important to me, so I use to pick up the cheapest available foundation from my local Tesco and plaster my face... I'm sure half the time I was bright orange, but I was young... We've all got to learn somewhere. :-)
On the plus side... I'm not still committing this terrible crime against make up!
It took me a while, and a number of foundation brands to find one and stick to it and while I try various others I always end up going back to my favourite Mac Studio Fix powder applied on top of either Studio Fix fluid or Illamasqua Skin Base. I find these work best for me, as I do like a full coverage and a matte finish. I am far more open to changing my liquid foundation but I will ALWAYS apply my Studio Fix powder on top... It's served me well these last 10 years.

So .... Double Wear.
I recently got colour matched by Estée Lauder while out shopping in Debenhams with my Mum, who was picking up a new foundation from there herself (When In Rome as they say :-)
I was matched as 04-Pebble and rather than removing all my make up Estée Lauder give a great sample size of foundation for you to try - about 7 days worth, which is great because it can be different in application at home compared with someone doing it in store.
Now I have certain... ummm.... misconceptions of the Estée Lauder brand. To me the brand itself appeals to 40+ ladies, and that's the way the marketing and packaging is aimed. This to me has always put me off the brand and I have steered away from purchasing any product for myself.
I think I have made one previous Estée purchase which was a glittery fruit flavoured lipgloss a range which is now discontinued (which again suggests I am not target audience for this brand)

I digress.... Back to Double Wear itself...

The sample was great for me, it meant I got to try a product which I wouldn't normally purchase at home... And I was impressed.
The foundation is lighter in its consistency than the Studio Fix liquid that I usually wear, but coverage is medium and is build-able for a fuller coverage without looking cakey.
I applied a primer first which always helps your foundation stay put, but this did not move off my skin all day, I am prone to an oily T Zone and again this was not affected.
I am writing this after having worn the product for 11 hours and I am sure it will last a good few more without budging at all.

Estée Lauder Double Wear retails for £27.50 for 30ml which is a little pricey but a little does go a long way.
It's available in a mountain of different shades and also comes in a light variation for the someone who prefers a lighter coverage.
I would recommend that if you've not tried this foundation and it does appeal to you that you head to your local counter and get colour matched, you may be surprised by how much you like it.
Without the little sample I was given, I probably wouldn't have considered this foundation mainly due to the Estée brand not being overly appealing to me - my Mum however loves it, swears by it even which supports my earlier comment regarding the target audience.

Would I purchase? Ummm I'm not sure.
Yes it didn't budge, yes the coverage was good but I'm still not 100% convinced it is worth the extra compared to my usual foundation - If Debenhams ever promote to 20% off again or once I gain enough beauty club rewards then yes I would be tempted.
I am aware that this is quite a cult product and some people swear by it. I am also aware I am a little late in trying this out but I am just not entirely sure it's the right product for me.... But I would definitely say grab a sample!

Rhian Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment